Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Women of the 1920's

The women are outrageous. During these times of liquor-less days, the women have been acting up. They have either been out smoking, drinking, and dancing, or smashing bottles and attacking people in bars. Some reported that they believed drinking is worse than slavery! A group was created called the Women's Crusade. What the Women's Crusade would do is to march as a group into any busy place that sold liquor and sing and pray. One even came up to me and begged me to go home to my family, but I got annoyed and threw water all over her. Of course these women would be ridiculed and arrested, but they never gave up. On the other hand, there was the Woman's Christian Temperance Union led by Frances Willard, nicknames Saint Francis. The WCTU's main focus was to stop the liquor trade, officially making the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages illegal. Carry Nation had a big part in the Prohibition movement as well. She would go into bars or any place that sold alcohol, alone, and broke EVERYTHING. With her famous weapon, the hatchet, Nation traveled out of her home state, Kansas, and my bar actually posted guards when she passed my town. I'm glad that I didn't meet her. I'm pretty sure she would not have hesitated to hit me with a rock or crowbar.

No comments:

Post a Comment